Tuesday, April 10, 2012

So many tools!

There's so many different tools that are available to use when it comes to social media. There are listening tools which are for the purpose of making searches on different topics, brands, companies, etc. easy for you. An example of this would be Google Reader. There is blogging, of course, such as home base blogs like WordPress and scratch blogs like Tumblr. These can be used to communicate all sorts of different information whether it's news, responding to something, or just feel like posting a short video or text. There are a lot of other tools out there as well like Facebook, which we use for just about everything and LinkedIn for business purposes.

Another very popular tool that is used is the Wiki. Wikis seem to be made for collaboration. I'm honestly not sure how I feel about wikis, because I've never had to use them...except for Wikipedia. Wikipedia is actually an extremely useful site, because you can get all the information you need as well as post information yourself. When it comes to uses wikis for business to be used as a collaborative tool I'm not so sure if they're worth using.  The thought of communicating to business partners through a wiki is kind of unappealing to me. I'm sure that it is a tool that works, but I just prefer phone calls or face-to-face communication.  I think that you are able to grow more as a business team if you get to know each other in person rather than through a wiki. However, one of the really great things about the ideas of wikis are that you get credit for what you're doing. Sometimes people don't get credit where it is due when your work can't be tagged to you like it can in a wiki.


As I was just saying, I don't think I've ever really used wikis. Therefore, I decided to check out Healthy Recipes Wiki from Wikia.  This wiki is actually really great if you're into finding recipes for healthier dishes to eat.  You are able to upload your own recipes as well as use the search box to search the wiki for different recipes.  It has a section for Featured Recipe, Ingredient Spotlight, Food Poll, The Weekly Dish from Eat Life Whole and Healthy News.  The wiki is really lighthearted and simple.  It doesn't really talk about anything other than good recipes for Spring and has articles in the Healthy News section.  I think this wiki is really useful if you are like me and try to eat healthy and also try out new recipes!  Maybe I'll change my mind about wikis after all. 



1 comment:

  1. Too many tools is right!! I also went for the "healthy" recipes when exploring all the different Wikis. Such a great one! Glad you liked it too.

    ReplyDelete